No matter where you are in Connecticut, you’ll find that you’re never too far from the water. The Shoreline offers a special kind of magic with access to ponds, rivers, and the Long Island Sound. Take advantage of the great weather we’re having and the slower pace of summer by getting to know our coastline, rivers, and marshes! The sky’s the limit…or maybe I should say the horizon’s the limit…with the variety of watercraft available for rent or charter within our Shoreline communities.
Kayak, Canoe, and SUP Rentals:
- Indian River Marina & Kayak (Clinton) – Situated on the Indian River approximately 1 mile up from Clinton Harbor. It’s at this point that 3 rivers, the Hammonassett, Indian, and Hammock, converge as they make their way into the Long Island Sound. Rent a kayak, canoe, or standup paddle board and launch directly into the Indian River to enjoy the beauty of the tidal wetlands. Arrangements can also be made for equipment to be dropped off at other nearby waters.
- Black Hall Outfitters (Westbrook and Old Lyme) – A full service watersports outfitter offering rentals, sales, outings, tours, and camps! Located in Westbrook at Wetmore Marina you’ll find yourself on the Menunketesuck River Kayak Trail with direct access to the 550 acre Stuart McKinney Wildlife Preserve. If visiting the Old Lyme location you’ll find yourself located directly on the Connecticut River Estuary, Canoe and Kayak Trail with 600 acres of The Great Island Wildlife Management area to explore! You will not be left short of options or fun!
- Branford River Paddlesports (Branford) – Located on the Branford River and offering access to the Long Island Sound as well as dozens of small islands, creeks, and coves. The options for exploration are bountiful! Rent a kayak or SUP, book a tour, take lessons, attend SUP yoga, or schedule your birthday party or event! Wonderful options for the whole family.
- New England Watersports (Branford) – offers single and tandem kayak rentals as well as SUP. Delivery is free to all points of interest in Branford and can be delivered to other destinations for a nominal fee. Tours and corporate team outing are also available.
- Thimble Island Kayak (Branford) – offers kayak and SUP rentals with free delivery to Branford. Delivery is available outside of Branford for a small fee.
If something with a motor is more your style then we’ve found some good options for rentals! Chartered and boat club options are available.
- Carefree Boat Club is a membership style of club offering unlimited use of watercraft, a fully staffed dock, year-round boating throughout the U.S., and resort like amenities at their marinas located in both Clinton and Groton. They take of the details so that you can have all the fun!
- Sea Sprite Sportfishing is located at the mouth of the Connecticut River in Old Saybrook. Book your fishing charter and Captain Pete will take you out and share his 44 years of experience fishing the Long Island Sound.
- Islander Sport Fishing Charters based out of Old Saybrook offers fishing charters, sunset cruises, and CT River bird watching excursions. Captain Wayne not only has over 20 years of boating experience, he is also a licensed Coast Guard Captain and a merchant marine officer with a Masters Certificate.
- Sail Works, based out of Branford, is your memory maker! Offering sailing excursion from 2-8 hours long with destinations in both Connecticut and New York. Book your sunset cruise, overnight, or day sailing excursion and treat your family and friends to an unforgettable experience! Added bonus, sailing courses are available on either their boat or yours.
Bring your own!:
- Do you already have your own equipment and are looking for a new location to explore? Make sure to visit the CT DEEP webpage to see a full listing of boat launches throughout the state.
- The Connecticut Costal Access Guide is another great resource with an interactive map and links provided to find additional information on each access point.