Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup
I recently had to go dairy free and cheese is definitely the food I miss the MOST!! I am also Celiac so finding gluten free and dairy recipes that are just as satisfying as the original can be TOUGH!!! I have been working on this recipe and finally have it down! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
- 3 cups of broccoli
- 2 cups of cauliflower
- 6 Tbsp of Nutritional Yeast
- Small Red Onion
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (could do all cashews instead)
- Salt to taste
- Optional- shredded carrots 1/4 cup cut into very small pieces
- Optional – red pepper flakes
- Instant Pot
- Potato Masher
I do this recipe in the instant pot but it could be easily adapted for stove top and just as fast!
- Put cashews and sunflower seeds in a cup of very hot water and set aside for at least 1/2 hour.
- Finely chop your onion. Set instant pot to saute, add olive oil and red onion and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to the pot, saute for 1 minute and then add 1 cup of vegetable broth and deglaze the pan to be sure nothing is stuck to the bottom.
- Steam veggies on steam setting for 4 minutes. Allow to natural release and then lightly mash everything together with a potato masher.
- If you like a thinner soup (I do not!), add 1/2 cup more of broth and use an immersion blender to puree.
- If a half hour has gone by, drain the nuts. Toss them in a blender with 1 cup of vegetable broth and 6 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Blend to a creamy thick mixture. If needed add more water, 1 tbsp at a time. The mixture should not be chunky! Add puree to the instant pot, stir to combine. Add salt to taste
- Manually cook the soup for 3 minutes, natural release & serve!